- Kaap Agri is an active participant in the AgriSETA. We conduct several learnerships on an ongoing basis under this SETA to develop talent and strengthen the careers of our current and prospective employees.
- As part of our Youth Development Programme, Kaap Agri has provided more than 45 bursaries to the value of R1.4 million to students, of which more than half were female students.
- We have invested nearly R7 million in the Kaap Agri Academy since 2009, educating over 370 new generation commercial farmers and training more than 6000 farmworkers.
- Together, the Kaap Agri Employee and Farmworker BEE Trust empowers our employees and their families, as well as rural communities with financial support, ranging from housing loans to education-related grants. Over the last 5 years, the Trust has provided over R1.2 million in support.
- In our most recent financial year, Kaap Agri invested over R7.9 billion in procurement spend with B-BBEE suppliers.
We champion socio-economic development within our organisation and the external communities we work in.
Our corporate social investment programmes support peri-urban and rural communities by facilitating poverty alleviation and broad-based socio-economic development.
Education is the primary focus of our corporate social investment initiatives. We especially invest in the education of children across the years of early childhood development and primary school, as well as secondary and tertiary education. Our adult education programmes include the training and development of new generation farmers and farmworkers.
Our approach to CSI is characterised by the desire to leave a lasting legacy and to make a difference that resonates with our employees, customers, shareholders and all our internal and external stakeholders. Through our network of branches and operating points, the business gets to know the needs of each community and are able to better support them. Initiatives often come from branch level and range from providing bursaries and drought relief support to addressing the needs of vulnerable children and the elderly.
Together, our education and community initiatives enable us to contribute to society through social programmes at a corporate level and outreach projects at a local level. With numerous communities, projects and individuals in need of support, identifying potential beneficiaries can be difficult. Programmes for investment are evaluated to ensure alignment with our core socio-economic development focus areas and to ensure funds can be applied to areas where they will make a meaningful difference.
All initiatives that we support are subject to availability of funds.
Kaap Agri Bursary Programme
We believe that education breaks the cycle of poverty for young people and their families. In line with our CARE values, our Bursary Programme has become a key development initiative as a means to empower young people in the communities where we operate. We focus on learners from underprivileged, rural communities that are severely underfunded. We have provided bursaries to over 40 students, half of whom are young girls.
The success of our programme rests on the long-term partnerships we develop with schools who are responsible for helping to identify talented learners that are in desperate need of financial support to complete their education. All bursaries are subject to the availability of funds and are reviewed for renewal each year.
Virtual Learning Programme
The pandemic has accelerated digital transformation in education with more schools relying on e-learning as an essential support to traditional classroom-based teaching. Using these unprecedented times as an opportunity for innovation, we explored new methods of delivering our education-focused CSI programmes.
In a company-first initiative, Kaap Agri has invested in the iSchool Africa Programme in order to help rural schools on their digital learning journey.
With the focus on helping learners improve their numeracy and literacy skills, our investment focuses on equipping rural schools with a comprehensive suite of digital tools and equipment as well as top quality learning software and teacher training.